Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Food For One

As you can imagine I find this whole food thing frustrating. It's no secret Bob and I had many a battle over grocery store shopping and cooking. You'd think I would be thrilled to have the kitchen to myself. Not so. Somewhere during our 55 years together I lost my desire to cook. I am not at all excited about the kitchen regardless of who's in it.

I was sure it was in bad shape so I made cleaning it one of my first tasks after Bob died. Now when you look in my refrigerator it looks like a display model, almost nothing in it. I had no idea you could have so many groceries out of date but the pantry was full of outdated food.

I have no interest in food and certainly no interest in cooking. I can see why eating is such an issue with some older people. I try different things but so far have not come up with a workable solution.
__________________________________
I'm sure Bob was walking those golden streets Monday wringing his hands and telling St. Peter, "See, I told you she couldn't make it without me to tell her what to do." The light came on in my car to tell me I was out of gas. Horrors I thought. No doubt that's the first time that light was ever on in that car.  Bob never let it get below half full. I was near the gas station so it was no crisis and no doubt I'll remember from now on to check it.

I don't like cars. I consider them a necessary evil. Public transportation is good here but trains and buses do not run up and down neighborhood streets. You've got to get to designated places on your own before you can ride it.. When you're young that's not a problem but as we age it often becomes problematic.

That means I'll keep driving and watch the gas gauge closer.

7 comments:

  1. Our senior hall taught a series of classes called 'cooking for one.' One of the biggest things I learned is to redefine what I call a meal. In time you may discover it's better to just go out for your main meal a couple of times a week and bring half home for another meal. I actually don't cook more than once a week and I can divide that up into 3-4 freezer meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Terry wasn't here, I would probably live on raw fruit and vegetables with an occasional tortilla with cheese. Fake cheese, at that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much has changed for you. I’m not sure how I would handle eating alone. I usually read when I eat by myself. And fruit, cheese and crackers make a good meal. I like cottage cheese and salads and old fashioned bologna and cheese sandwiches. Grilled cheese and tomato soup is good. Soup is great! A baked potato makes a meal for me. And if all else fails, I eat crackers and milk and go to bed! Think I’ll do that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really liked to cook, but I did when my husband was alive for those 30 years, but even then I relied on Stouffers often. I have often joked that over the years, I have kept Stouffers in business.

    I never cook now, but rely on going out to eat with friends, which I love, and then the leftovers from that and always Stouffers. I have added some Marie Callendar too. I will occasionally buy some fresh veggies and roast them all together or make a good salad, but that's it for me.

    It's all a huge adjustment, but things eventually settle in to your own pattern and routine and you'll get use to that and not want to change it.

    Make lists...do whatever it takes to stay organized and don't stop driving or you'll lose your independence.just stay away from the busiest roads if possible.

    I've been at this widowhood for 5 years and it does get easier and you will adjust and find some contentment....it just takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cook a lot for my hubs, it is just he and myself..He does pretty good without me and I always have tons of stuff he can throw together in case I don't get home in time for supper as I say..My brother in law goes without he lost his partner 15 years ago she had MS and thought he might outlive her, well he has severe ptsd only took 35 years to get his svc connected disability but he is doing great now since 2007 full ptsd svc connected disability just no one to share anything with him..So we make a huge trek to see him over 110 miles and I cook like I am a cook on a navy ship full of navy and marines, always bring lots of containers and pop them into his freezer and he eats well for a good month and a half..We worry about him eating crap and so we go out and I cook and cook and bake like I am the cook on a naval transport, he loves my dinners, cookies and cakes and I get him good jams and stuff from a farmers market..He just says to us I don't feel like I want to cook ever again, he has to eat to take the many pills to work and work he does, it seems to soothe him..I would not cook much if my husband passed from this earth, I cook for a shelter I would eat there and just nibble on fruits and veggies and drink tea and call it a day.! GREIF IS HORRIBLE FOR EACH PERSON...TAKE YOUR TIME let the universe and your heart and tummy guide you..peace sent to you and love..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a good thing about not having to cook for two anymore, you lose weight!
    I have no interest in cooking or eating anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not me, Judy! You can eat a lot of (bad) calories without cooking.

      Delete