Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Discombobulated

For a while I thought I was developing dementia and was greatly relieved to learn a time of mental fog is not unusual after the death of a spouse. Most of the time I think I do all right but it's the little things that get to me.

I have the attention span of a flea in a hot skillet. I simply cannot concentrate or focus. I've only managed to read one book since Bob died. 

One day I counted new summer teeshirts in my closet and was surprised when the number was ten. I have no recollection of ordering ten shirts. I thought perhaps I'd placed my order twice, but every one of them is different.

I want to be kind to the earth but I never remember to carry in my reusable bags at the grocery store. I always buy a new one and promise myself to do better next time. I now have six bags in the passenger seat of my car. I even sat my purse on them in order not to forget, but still I got to the check out lane and realized the bags were in the car.

I understand why they advise waiting several months or a year before making major decisions. I think that is wise advice. I suppose time is the only cure for discombobulation. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh Linda... I’m so sorry for all you’re going through. I know so many of us have to face this day, but it frightens me too much. I have many of these senior moments, but I believe you’re right in that you shouldn’t make any serious decisions when you’re trying to get your emotions and life back under control.

    By the way, you mentioned a while back about comments disappearing. I’ve had that happen with my MackBook, but for some reason it’s OK with my iPad. I don’t know why. There are so many goofy things going on with the computer these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until you get through the first year of anniversaries, holidays and other significant days widows and widowers are very wise not to make major decisions. And, yes, widow's fog is a real thing. Be gentle with yourself. It's gets better with time and in the meantime, make lots of lists and use post-a-notes. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, you must be going through so much. I'm sure it must be tough and so very strange. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still after 5 years have trouble focusing, but I was always a bit flighty. As for books, I haven't read one in years now, but part of that is my darn IPad. I follow so many blogs and read news or other articles on line, that I've become accustomed to shorter reads.

    Definitely don't make major decisions yet. And yes lots of notes is good. Grief and missing your husband is very hard and life changing and some thing we truly never get over....we just adjust in time like blocked arteries around your heart and new ones form over time. So many of us older women are in the same boat. Know you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a hard time in so many ways and eventually you adjust. Ask for help when needed but be wary of those out there who just look for opportunities to take advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That word ‘discombobulate’ is one of my favorites! I can’t keep three thoughts in my head and neither can Louis Dean. Thing is, I’ve been like this most of my life. I can’t imagine how it will be when it comes my time to grieve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's terrible, isn't it? It took me nine months to finally feel like I knew what I was doing. I still can't concentrate long enough to read a book and all the TV shows Fred and I used to watch at night? Ican't watch them. The CSI' and those kinds just weird me out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, being discombobulated is a characteristic with which I identified. I became overactive at times. I would focus on certain activities and obsessed on them, or so it seems in retrospect i.e. a few days over time I practically lived in a Borders Book Store (shortly before they closed all their stores). I sat in their big plush chairs and read a whole book one day. I guess maybe I wanted to be among people but no one with whom I needed to converse.

    ReplyDelete