Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Saturday, June 9, 2018

What’s Happening?

I never thought it would happen but this old gal has checked out on news and politics. I decided I neeeded a break from thngss that were dark, and depressing. I only meant it to be temporary but it’s  been so nice I may make it permanent.

At this time in my life it’s overwhelming to me. I will always vote but I don’t have to have a daily diet of news and politics to do that. Since I don’t watch TV I didn’t have that habit to break. I don’t take the newspaper so I didn’t have to give that up.

Facebook and Twitter were my primary sources. I made a list of all the people I followed on Twitter and Facebook, believing the break was only temporary. If the world blows up I can quickly reconnect with my list of names.

I’m making an attempt to listen to Jon Meacham’s book ‘The Soul of America: The Battle For Our Better Angels.’ First I bought it for Kindle planning to read it but soon realized that wasn’t going to happen, so I then got the audible version thinking I could probably have an easier time with that. It’s excellent and I’m enjoying it now and then when my brain chooses to focus for a few minutes. This is not the only time in history when Americans' behavior has brought shame upon their country. I find it helpful in times like this to look at history.

Recently I went with my children to hear White House photographer Pete Souza on book tour for his new book ‘Obama.’ That was a fun experience.

I’m just trying to hang loose these days. Trying not to get too up tight. The best way to do that seems to be to avoid news and politics, at least for now.

7 comments:

  1. I've recently cut down on my political listening and reading too, but I don't plan to check out entirely because too much is at stake. But no one can take as much discourse as we've been getting out of the White House and not suffer from it. I would have liked seeing Peter Souza on book tour. Right now I'm reading the new James Patterson and Bill Clinton fiction thriller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve really struggled with buying that book. I don’t like mysteries and I think this one is labeled as a thriller. I go back and forth on buying it. I don’t want to scare myself. The Pete Souza event was excellent. He has another book coming out in the fall called ‘Shadow.’ He is sharp witted and has rapid responses to Trump. I think the. New book is going to be a fun book.

      Delete
  2. We still tune in. We watch a lot of T, including news and Rachel Maddow. We get a newspaper and online Washington Post and New York Times Opinion columns ia email. I confess to easily experiencing overload though and don't read nearly as much of this as Tom does.
    You are still in mourning and adjusting to a new life style on your own. It makes sense to just want to clear your head and embrace something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But remember....
    "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men".....Plato

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listen to audiobooks when I'm driving back and fort to work. I also listen every evening. I get in bed, get comfortable and listen to a few chapters before I fall asleep. Sometimes the book is too good and I stay awake longer than I should. It is also a good way to just relax for a little while with something beside the awful news. I'm going to order this cd from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder you tired of news if FB and Twitter your source with all their twisted tales, fake news, and the like — would be depressing and crazy-making and seems to have been for many people. It’s no coincidence one of these would be used by our illuterous leader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s onerous to find knowledgeable individuals on this matter, however you sound like you recognize what you’re talking about! Thanks slots for real money

    ReplyDelete