Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Friday, December 25, 2015

Go Home


How do you handle guests that don't know when to leave?

The ones I've dealt with have always been introverts, not given to contributing much to conversation, and arrive with a book, iPhone or iPad to which they quickly skitter to avoid conversation. From time to time they stir and return to the kitchen for coffee and more dessert.  They appear not to notice other guests are leaving.  Hours later they rise from their chairs to announce it's probably time for them to go home to feed the cat.

My solution to this problem is to meet the offenders at a nice restaurant for a meal with everyone going their own way after eating.  Never invite them to my home.

Regretfully I'm stuck.  Bob thinks holiday meals should be in our home.  The biggest offender is our son.  What's a mother to do?


1 comment:

  1. I couldn't imagine arriving for dinner as a guest at someone's home with a book or a tablet to read. Then I saw that the guest was your son. Well, you're sunk. He feels too comfortable at "home". At least mine just reads his phone. :-)

    ReplyDelete