Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Friday, June 1, 2018

And The Financial Stuff

One of the nicest things that happened during the time of Bob's death was an attorney friend who volunteered to take care of all the business. Oh my, that was helpful. It would be well worth the cost to pay for that service. I highly recommend it.

Today would have been Bob's birthday. This morning when I checked our bank account I wished there was a way I could let him know how well he provided for me. He would be pleased.

Bob was a twin and the two couples of us were always close. Each couple had two children, and the men worked for companies with good retirement plans and health insurance. It all seemed equal until the end. In death a huge difference was revealed.

My in-laws wanted all their money deposited in their checking account for them to manage.

Bob and I were not disciplined enough to work like that. We needed everything possible withheld from our income before a deposit was made to our checking account. The difference in management styles made significant difference at the end.

My monthly apartment rent is more than my sister-in-law's monthly income!

I'm greatly concerned for the future of many that will be reaching retirement in the next ten to fifteen years. Companies have mostly gotten rid of pension plans. These days more responsibility is put on the individual to put aside money for retirement. I fear many are not disciplined enough to do that, and what happens then? I've just given you an example.

5 comments:

  1. You are going to live well, while your sister-in-law is going to be miserable. She will probably have to move to a much smaller place. Her budget is going to be in the red, every month, especially as prices go up. She is going to worry a very lot. I know it, I live it, I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be able to breath easier, that's for sure. Just knowing what's what helps a lot. Glad you had a friend to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having an expert take care of all of the financial arrangements at the death of a spouse is a wonderful gift.
    I too worry about all of the folks who do not have pensions. As teachers in Washington State, we had no choice but to pay in monthly to our pension funds. Now those pensions, and social security, provide for us very well, especially as we are able to live debt free in our paid for home. I count my blessings every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Art made sure from the start that we would try to live below our means, scrimp, save and provide for the kids. He and I both also have pensions so even if I don’t get social security, we’re doing OK. Thank goodness! I’m so glad you are protected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You for sharing your article, This is an interesting & informative blog. It is very useful for the developer like me.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete