Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Ups and Downs of Fixer Uppers

I decided I finally have something to say so I'll be posting again for a while.

Velcro (Bob) turned 85 in June. I'll be posting some of our 'adventures,' and some of the things I've learned along the way. Some of our adventures haven't left me time to post.


We had an appointment this morning with the ophthalmologist for him. He's had cataract surgery but has never been as pleased with his surgery as I am with mine.


He'd been fretting a lot about not being able to see. Take note of his pocket and you'll see why he doesn't see well. I've never found wearing glasses in my pocket to be very successful.

He sees well enough without his glasses for most things. Mostly just needs reading glasses. Says he doesn't know when he needs to be wearing them, and I need to tell him. Quick, let me add that to my to-do-list.

I've now put his glasses on a chain around his neck to see if he can manage that. He's constantly hunting his glasses, has sat on them twice, requiring a trip to get them untwisted and aligned again.

I went through this with my father and was never able to please him, and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to please Velcro.

I asked the doctor to tell me what I can expect for the future, and what I need to do to be sure I don't miss anything.

He recommended a yearly medical appointment just to be sure all is well. (Medical is the key word. Medicare pays for the yearly medical appointment. If you make an eye exam appointment you have to pay, at least at our opthomologist's office.) He does not have glaucoma, or macular degeneration. It's possible, but unlikely, he could grow a film over the left eye. He's already had laser on the right eye.

He says it's unlikely his prescription will change much. After all, we're dealing with artificial lens now.

This was helpful guidance that I needed. I can go forth with confidence now.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, my word!! So glad to see a new post from you! I love reading of your "adventures," because they steel me for what's on my horizon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost took you out of my feed last week and was so shocked to see your post go to the top of the list. Welcome back to the blog community. Maybe it will help in someway to blog about the stresses of caregiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate that you are always present in my blogging world. I would worry if you didn't pop up in my comments.
    I can see that you have your hands full with "Velcro". I'm wondering why that is his handle. It is because you can't shake him off? He his so fortunate to hove you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Velcro handle is because that's how close he sticks to me. The more he needs me the more he fears me being out of sight. He worries what would happen to him if something happened to me. It's not often I leave him alone. He's ok if I go somewhere with one of the kids because he thinks they will protect me. He just doesn't like me being out alone.

      Delete
  4. Really good to see you post again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda! So glad you are back. Bob is lucky to have you. Hope you are taking care of you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just wondering how you two were doing. Care taking has to be even harder than parenting children. I hope you maintain your sense of humor and take care of yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to see you blogging again! I tried to comment last night but had a glitch with the iPad!
    Yes, I love your nickname for Bob! Is he aware of it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice surprise. Good to see you back in action. Bob is handsome as ever. Hope
    the chain works. I used one years ago when I started needing reading glasses. Handy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you're back again. Missed those hilarious stories of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so glad to see you posting again. I've worried.

    ReplyDelete