Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Boo to Q-Tips and Medical Forms

This morning we saw the doctor about Bob's ear. The doctor said "Do you clean your ears with a Q-Tip?" Guilty as charged. I can close my eyes and visualize him with a Q-Tip cleaning his ears. This morning he had to pay the piper. Wax was packed in until it was difficult to remove, and left him with an very inflamed ear. The doctor says ears are meant to be self cleaning, I suppose like an oven. I'm now dropping antibiotic drops in that ear for the inflammation, and will slap him if I ever see him with another Q-Tip in his ear.
_____________________________
In addition to the ear issue we had an appointment later in the morning with the urologist for Bob. Here I ran into an issue that is really beginning to bug me. We were told the answer to good medicine would be electronic records. I'm filling out more paper forms now that I ever did in the days before electronic records. This irritates me.

Bob is no longer capable of filling out forms. This morning I was given six pages to complete. I looked at that set of forms and declared them nonsense. There has to be a better way, like perhaps using the computer system to see what information is already there. Perhaps a nurse could use the information already there and simply ask about anything he/she thinks might have changed. Surgery history really irritates me. How many times should we have to give a surgery history? What good is electronic records if doctors and medical staff do not use them? This morning I muttered a little and decided to use the least amount of information possible in order to say I'd filled out that nonsense.

I always think what would happen if Bob and I were both 85, still able to drive to the doctor, but slow and not very reliable filling out forms? How many pages should we be expected to complete? The forms this morning wanted a list of his medications, the dosage, and how often he took it, all to be added to a space about an inch and a half in length. Really, some of his medication names are longer than that.

Back in the treatment room I was given a page of very personal questions to answer. I looked at that and decided I would rebel. When the doctor came in I told him the form was designed for the patient to complete, not a family member, and I was uncomfortable asking Bob the questions. He just waved it aside and said not to worry about it he didn't need it anyway.

Recently I received an envelope of 8 pages of medical forms to complete before seeing my internist. I sat down and read the forms, making notes as I went. Then I picked up the phone and called the clinic and canceled my appointment, explaining the reason.

I'm friendly with the people in that office and it touched off quite a stir. I received a call from the office manager. It seems he'd never read those forms, didn't even know who generated them. Then I received a phone call saying my doctor wanted me to come in and talk to her. Turns out she had not read the forms either. She even said that apparently I was the only patient she had that had read them, that others just dutifully filled them out and said nothing.  She asked me to prepare her a summery of how I thought the forms could be improved and send it to her. It was obvious whoever generated those forms had not a clue about adults over 65.

I'll probably never hear another word about all this, but I did accomplish one thing. My doctor has instructed the staff I am not to be asked to fill out paper forms. I'll take that.

10 comments:

  1. Well, you won that round for yourself anyway!
    I get aggravated at the forms also. I only go to the same medical system for everything. All of my records are in their system. I think from now on I'll just write "see my computer records" on the form, and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an appointment with an ear, nose and throat doctor recently and before the appointment they sent me to a website where I was to open a new patient port and fill out pages and pages of junk. The letter said if I didn't do it, my appointment time could be canceled. What if I was too old to use a computer? Then what? I had the same problem as Bob with an impacted ear and an infection but I have never, ever used a Q-Tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you for challenging the forms. I grumble about them and fill them in. Now I know what to do...challenge the Doc to see if he's ever read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!!! Sometimes all we need do is speak up. I'm guilty of following all the rules but as I get older, I challenge more of them than I used to.
    Louis Dean's doctor ordered a test for him that she said he probably doesn't need. So why order it? Just because the insurance will pay for it? I think not. He had me cancel it today. Why waste his time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see you back again. I understand we should never put anything smaller than our little finger in our ears. Hope his infection clears up. Interesting about reaction to your not completing medical forms which makes me wonder why they asked for them in the first place if they aren’t going to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My response was going to be the same as Linda Reeder's -- writing in "see medical records on file." HOWEVER, extremely interesting that it seems no one even reads the forms. I know that someone is generating those forms, sending them out, and filing them somewhere (if only in the circular file), and I am sure that Medicare and other insurance is paying for it all. And we can't seem to get a handle on cost?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom once told me that the only thing proper to stick in my ear was my elbow. Of course I tried and quickly got the point. Bet his hearing improved.
    Good on you for bringing the useless forms to the attention of someone who cares. Way to go. Tell them for a fee, you will design the new forms for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. About once a month, I put a few drops of Hydrogen Peroxide in each ear to clean out the wax build-up, it works great. All my medical history is on electronic files that are coordinated with every doctor I use and the hospital. Also, I typed up a list of my prescriptions and the dosage and when I take it. When I hit a new doc that wants that info--I hand them the printed list. I have tremors in my hands and that makes it very difficult for me to fill out forms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe we could start a revolt. I am tired of the forms also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The last bunch of forms like that I received included a form to fill out to agree to arbitration, I assume instead of lawyers, if there was a problem. This was an orthopedic surgeon's office. I would never sign anything like that without consulting a lawyer first. I left it blank. Nothing was said to me about it by the doctor or staff. I have my medication list in the computer where it can easily be updated and printed out. It really simplifies things.

    ReplyDelete