Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Friday, May 18, 2018

Death Is Hard To Plan

I'm a forward thinking person, and have a plan for everything I know the future is going to bring my way.  Though plans often have to be changed, I am usually able to hang on to some of it.  I could have saved my time with Bob's death. I learned spouses seldom, if ever, die as you think they will.

The morning of January 4 I awoke to find Bob in acute delirium. From that morning until the morning of February 25 we were in crisis mode around here. The blood taken trying to find a cause for the delirium revealed his blood disorder had returned with a vengeance. At 5:00 a.m. on the morning of February 25 he was returning to bed from the bathroom and fell across the bed dead. Not something in my plan.

This is the compact version. I'll be dealing with individual pieces of the story over the next few postings.

I've learned you cry some and you laugh some.

During those last days I would often find a wooden spoon in the bed or Bob would say he was laying on a spoon and ask me to remove it. The first night it happened I passed it off as happening because of his delirium but it continued to happen.

Finally, in one of his lucid moments, I learned he was using a wooden spoon as a back scratcher!

These days I can laugh about it. I wonder how long he'd been using wooden spoons from the kitchen as back scratchers? How many times do you think those spoons got washed before they went back in the cabinet drawers?

5 comments:

  1. The journey is one of extreme ups and downs. it's stressful for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us Linda. Thinking of you, as you walk the path of recovery from your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you can laugh again now as you look back at what was then a crisis. And the wooden spoon back scratcher thing? Yep, I have done that, but it is a wooden fork and never gets used for anything else anyway. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear your news about Bob! Even when you can see the handwriting on the wall it can still be a shock and, boy, do you have an adjustment ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you can find humor in a stark time. It will help you through. Smiled at the spoon but like Linda, I am a wooden fork user myself.

    ReplyDelete