Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Food Is Necessary

I'm learning the hard way that food is necessary and I can't live on snack food, fast food, or junk food. It's amazing what comes back to haunt you when you mistreat your body. Many years ago I was hospitalized for pancreatitis. Guess what recently came knocking on my door? I am mildly diabetic, but can easily control that.

Mostly I consider food a waste of time and am annoyed that I have to pay attention to specific foods. Low carbs and low fat, that's the name of the game for me.


When Bob died I had two crockpots. I've never used one much because I never liked the mess. I immediately gave them to my daughter-in-law who thought she'd like to try crockpot cooking.

When Susan (daughter) was here recently she bought me a new crockpot! Let me tell you I was thrilled!

To my great surprise I have to admit there may be hope. It's a small one, perfect size for a person living alone. I also like the oval shape, food fits it better.

The best thing I've learned is you don't have to use liquid to cook in a crockpot. Yippee! No mess!

I like butternut squash but very seldom cook it because it's evil to peel or cut up when it's raw. From what I read this morning all I have to do is lay a butternut squash whole in the crockpot, with no liquid, and cook it 7 hours on low. Let it cool, should be tender enough to peel easily and prepare any way you choose. I can do that. I don't have the strength in my hands to work with one raw.

Rice and potatoes had to bite the dust in my diet. When you can have only half a cup it's not worth cooking for one. I don't like either one as leftovers. Rice is higher than potatoes in carbs.

Earlier this week I browned half a pkg of Jimmy Dean sausage. I cut an acorn squash in half and scraped out the seeds, put the squash halves in the crock pot and filled them with the sausage, no liquid. Cooked them on low for six hours, delicious. It would have been even better if I could have added a box of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice mix with the seasonings, and the necessary water for cooking.


I was pleased to see the new skillet she got me. She bought it for me to cook tilapia fish. Sorry, but I'd never tasted tilapia, let alone cooked any. I was in for a cooking lesson and oh my goodness, I do love tilapia.

I'm also eating a good bit of salmon but I cook that in the oven.

I cooked a Cornish hen in the crockpot, minus liquid and it was juicy and tender. Just right when you're cooking for one. The only negative was it tasted like chicken and I hate chicken.

13 comments:

  1. They make plastic liners for crock pots and when you're through cooking in them you just throw the bag and the mess away.

    If you put a slit in squash, then pop the whole thing in the microwave 2-3 minutes you can cut and peel them easily then finish cooking however you want. I do mine in the microwave after cutting in half and taking out the seeds and covering with Press and Seal---7 start to finish. Salmon wrapped in Press and Seal is great in the microwave, too. Lots of recipes online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing--after Fred died. Gave my Crock-Pot to my sister and then about 6 months later, realized I wanted one. I don't like chicken either. LOL and I heard Tilapia is not good for us. Some sort of "manufactured" fish? I don't like fish either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me laugh. I hope that's OK. Yes, game hens will taste like chicken.
    I have never used a slow cooker. I had one that sat on the shelf until I got rid of it. I just cook stuff the fast way, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're meeting a whole new world. Diet is key.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I’ve been worried about you foraging for food! I have the same small oval crockpot and use it a lot. Perfect for cutting up leftover roast and adding BBQ sauce so we can have sandwiches. I think I have every size crockpot they make. I tend to use them more in the fall and winter and that’s silly not to use them in the warmer - HOT months! Whatever it takes - you need to eat! I told Summer one time that I wish you could just swallow a pill instead of needing to prepare a whole meal!
    On another note.....I’m starting to get real excited about seeing you in Septemberbrealfast! I think it will be like we’ve known each other a long time! Think of some place we can take you for whatever time we’re there....breakfast, lunch or dinner or all three! I missed our Saturday visit this week. We go back to the ranch on Monday. I can’t wait!
    Good for Susan settiing you up for a successful eating plan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use my slow cooker a lot. I always thought of it as a much neater way to cook -- no splattered oven or cook top. It doesn't heat up the kitchen the ay the oven will either. Is that pan divided so you can cook two different things in it? I would love something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Know what you mean about butternut. I have thought a chainsaw might work. I haven't used a slow cooker yet but you are tempting me with a small one. Hard to cook for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the butternut squash and it only took about three hours, maybe less. Probably because I cooked a very small one.

      Delete
    2. You ladies really need to try squash in the microwave...so quick and easy! Also I wanted to say something about Judy's comment about Tilapia. Just look for fresh water or open water Tilapia as opposed to farm raised. Same with salmon. Farm raised swims around in their own poopy water.

      Delete
    3. P.S. if you do, don't forget to stab a slit in the squash to let out the steam before you put the squash in.

      Delete
  8. I use my microwave almost exclusively. Have a small crockpot but haven’t used, but expect could do morecwith it. Squash really easy in it. I do my fresh ears of sweet corn in microwave after removing most but not all of the leaves i would otherwise shuck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Linda,
    So sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. I hadn't been blogging for some time and did not know.
    My deepest condolences.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello everyone on here, I want to share with you all a great testimony on how I was cured by Dr Jekawo, who cured so many diseases.
    I was suffering from herpes and diabetes also my little sister was a victim of blood cancer too but with the help of Dr Jekawo we are all fine, well with his natural remedies that he prepare then send to us through dhl courier he then instruct us on how to drink the herbal medicines which we did and today we are completely well, we have being living free for 2 years now and it's seems like a God sent when I met him online by a lady giving testimony online like I'm doing right now.also I have introduce Dr Jekawo to several colleagues from works suffering from different kind of diseases and Dr Jekawo has healed all of them with his herbal knowledge. he's a great man with ancestral power to cure people with herpes,cancer,diabetes,hepatitis,hpv,lupus,als,hiv/aids, also spiritual consultation he's available for that as well.
    I email him on: drjekawo@gmail.com because that's the only source to get to him as he lives far from the United state,I told him that I will be giving testimony on his behalf because he's a good man with a Godly heart.

    ReplyDelete