Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Then There Was Cremation

In 2006 I submitted forms for us to donate our bodies to science. Why did I do that? I have no idea.

In 2018 I figured all that was long forgotten. Bob was 85, which I figured meant no one would be interested in his body for science. It seemed I should pay for a cremation and forget about the body donation.

The week of Bob's death an attorney friend was here going through some business papers and asked about the paperwork for donating our bodies to science. I passed it off as long out of date and I'd be arranging something else. She slipped out of the room, made a phone call, and returned to say the body donation paperwork was still good, and there was no reason not to use it. By then I didn't know what I wanted done about anything so I asked her to call our son and talk to him.

I know absolutely nothing about these places, and I sure didn't remember anything I'd done twelve years earlier. The one we used is called BioGift. So far all our dealings with these people have been good. I received a call yesterday his ashes are ready. I'll let our son deal with that.

The morning of Bob's death the hospice nurse called BioGift and they came out in a station wagon type car with no markings that would indicate their business in our apartment complex. They were very professional in doing their job, and thoughtful to us as family.

There was no cost for this service. I understand the ashes will be returned in a wooden box. We can then put them in a nice urn or do whatever we desire.
_____________________________________________________

I seem to have an unwanted commenter from another country. I read about the steps to block a commenter but was unable to make it happen. I would appreciate any suggestions.

8 comments:

  1. Your experience is the reason why my lawyer has me go over my decisions every five years. Things change and/or we forget.

    Can't help you out on how to get block an unwanted commenter. I just use the moderator function so I can decide whether or not a comment is spam and can be deleted so that no one but me sees it. I just tried following the directions given online and I can't do it either. I think it's because---like you---I don't have the 'followers' gadget active in my sidebar so there is no link to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin has donated her body to Michigan State University Medical School. She is now 85 and it makes no difference in the age of the deceased. The students need "parts" to study, muscles, arteries, bones, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, donating a body to science seems to hae workd out well. Something to consider.
    I got that same spammer. I just went in to my comments setting and marked them as spam and they went away. Don't know if it blocks them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I’ll see if that stops mine.

      Delete
  4. And here I was thinking I was the only one with a crispy blog. I am also trying to figure out how to discourage these comments.
    You remind me that I have really got to review my own paperwork.
    It sounds as though you have had some good support from your children when needed. I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry about your husband. I am a 5 year widow myself and it is a very bumpy ride. I'm glad to know about donating our bodies to science even if we're old. I also didn't know there were for profit hospices. All I know is I want one that will give me plenty of pain medication and won't try to keep me alive against my will.
    Hope you solve your Russian troll problem

    ReplyDelete
  6. I signed up for a donation at one time but now I don't even remember who or where. I need to look into that again and do new paperwork to give my daughter if that is still the way I want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of donation and need to pursue it. I'm glad you had a good experience with them. Thanks

    ReplyDelete