Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Lost Billfold

Today's adventure was Bob's lost billfold. He told me early this morning and I wasn't too concerned. This happens occasionally, only to turn up later in a coat pocket etc.

As the morning went on the situation looked more serious. He's always been super good at finding anything lost, mostly because he never gives up. He had been hot on the trail of the missing billfold all morning, always with his trusty flashlight in hand.

I decided it was time for me to get involved. I looked in the car, no billfold. I went to his room, where it looked like he might be moving. He had everything pulled out. I looked around but still no billfold.

I still felt like it would turn up but we were approaching noon and still no sight of it. I decided perhaps I'd better cancel his bank card just to be on the safe side. That done I decided to abandon my part of the search, trusting it would eventually rise to the top.

About an hour after I canceled his bank card he found it in his underwear drawer. Why there? He never puts his billfold in his underwear drawer.

By this time I'd done some thinking. The thought of replacing his military ID was less than appealing. There was also his Railroad Medicare card. Drivers license, no need to replace that. I had decided it was time to make some changes. There's actually no reason for him to carry a billfold but his heart would be wounded if I took it away.

I asked him to give me his military ID card and we locked it in a safe place. He needs it once a year when the medical folks are updating their records. Since I do all that now I can keep up with the card long enough to get that done. I also asked for his Railroad Medicare card but he insists that one of the labs he visits regularly asks to see it. (Railroad medicare is different than regular Medicare.) Still I cannot imagine why they would be asking to see it. I'll check on that.

Ideally he would only be carrying his Costco card and his debit card. A lost billfold would then not be such an issue.

8 comments:

  1. It's scary when you think you've lost your wallet. I can sympathize with you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. We often misplace things and they turn up later. Meanwhile it's a very stressful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad today's search was successful!
    Make copies of the cards he insists on carrying. that way you have what you need if they have to be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have gone through a series of losing things this past year. I hope that I am through that cycle because it sure is frustrating. My bank account was hacked recently - twice - and I certainly have NOT enjoyed going to the bank to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always something! Louis Dean loses his billfold nearly every other day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it amazingly frustrating how much of a day can be consumed by looking for something -- even when it is not needed at the immediate time. I'm not even a believer, but St. Anthony (patron saint of lost thing, probably souls, but co-opted for minor things like keys) are good friends.
    BTW, you are a saint and a goddess. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phew, that had to have been a bit scary. It is never the money that we are fearful about but all those darn ID's that are tough to replace. They have key finder gadgets, wonder if one would work for a wallet? If not, I see the need for an invention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another unwelcome problem to address, I’m sure, with other responsibilities. Glad the wallet was found with contents intact.

    ReplyDelete