Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Thursday's Post

Gracious sakes I'm having a good time, but I'm becoming overwhelmed. So many good organizations are popping up I'm having trouble keeping up with all of them, much less making a donation or giving any kind of support. It's a wonderful problem to have but just this morning I realized I've got to narrow the field.

As you know I'm a big follower of Twitter. I never tweet but I love Twitter for the links I get and the information from different organizations.

Yesterday Olga at Act 3 left a comment I'd like to share with you. She had been to a political event and had this to say, "In small group discussions, we discussed the need to stay focused.  One way to do that and keep momentum going would be for everyone to pick the cause most important to them and find an organization that is working to achieve that particular outcome. With so many areas of life under threat right now, it is not difficult to find a cause." "Brilliant," I said. I knew immediately what my choice would be, except, I could only limit it to three.

I chose CREW because one of the founders of this group is Norm Eisen, an ethics lawyer in the Obama White House.  I figured if he could keep them scandal free for eight years he was worthy of my support. I'd heard him in interviews several times and was always impressed.
LET AMERICA VOTE is brand new. I looked over the list of board members and recognized enough names to believe this is going to be an organization that will do good work. I've already sent a donation. Jason Kander was the first name that popped out of Barack Obama's mouth in his last interview from the White House, when he was asked to name someone he thought would be presidential material in 2020. Jason is the founder of this organization.


AMERICANS UNITED has been around a long time. I learned about 'Separation of Church and State' at my mother's knee and support it as much today as I did then. It is a dangerous thing we do when we blend the two. The Bush administration and this new administration want to take away that separation. To put it more bluntly some conservative Christians want to establish Christianity as the only accepted religion in this country. They want preachers to be able to endorse political candidates from the pulpit, and accept political donations through the church, with no danger of losing their tax exempt status. I'm strongly opposed.

I hope you'll take some time to look over the many organizations and choose one or more to support. I'd like to hear your choices.
_______________________________
Here's an article you might find interesting:
by Arianna Huffington
______________________________________________________________________
For me it's all about:
Civil Rights
Voting Rights
Human Rights
Religious Freedom
Separation of Church and State

10 comments:

  1. You always have the best information! I saw that Huffington article on Facebook and highly recommend it. I'm still deciding where my activism will land but it will probably be similar to your list only shorter. Voting rights and the separation of Church and State are important to me.

    I wish I would read Olga's Act 3 blog but the print is so faint in color that I can barely see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of political activism going on now and I'm pleased. I need to drill down on my three choices and see how I can best support those groups.

      I suggest you leave a comment for Olga about the difficulty you're having reading her blog. I agree, the print is very light.

      Delete
  2. I am a Christian but I'm also a big believer in separation of church and state. Good grief, that's one of the tenets on which this country was founded. Let's stick with it. Those evangelicals are a scary bunch, in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I agree 100%. The president's recent 'Muslim ban' is an example of what we'll be in for if we don't keep church and state separate.

      Delete
  3. There seems to lots going on. I don't know why women were not out on the streets with the treatment Elizabeth Warren received in the senate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much going on, and so many things to march about I guess that one slipped by them. We hear a lot from Elizabeth Warren and I admire her passion and fighting spirit, but I can only take so much of her. I strongly disagree with Mitch McConnell's actions, but I can see how she gets under his skin. I was proud of the men for reading the letter when they spoke.

      Delete
  4. I have been narrowing down my focus. Voter suppression/voter rights is now at the top of my list. Second is bird dogging the House of Representatives. While we are all paying attention to the President's twits and the confirmation hearings in the Senate, the House has been coming up with other mischief. I need to find a good source for reporting daily on House action. Pressure needs to be applied here, because they ate ALL up for reelection in two years.
    I am going to check put Let America Vote. Thanks for the great information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might download ROLL CALL to your computer and check in often. That may not be detailed enough but it's a start. I'll think about it and see if I can come up with something else. There's also THE HILL but my Obama sources don't think it's very credible. Not sure why, but they don't seem to like that one.

      Delete
    2. Take a look at 'clerk.house.gov' and see if that's helpful.

      Delete
    3. I did bookmark Clerk/House. Thanks.

      Delete