Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Monday, June 13, 2016

Saying Thank You

I learned a very long time ago that being a complainer, rude or ugly in a medical facility gets you nowhere. Being friendly and kind gets you a much better experience. Recently I learned these medical offices depend on reviews for some of their Affordable Care Act funding. They're out looking for your reviews on YELP and other places to include in their reports.

I don't write a review every single time we have an appointment but frequently I write a very positive review on YELP. People who are unhappy are quick to write reviews, happy people, not so much.

Some people take treats like cupcakes, cookies, donuts etc. but since I'm not the kitchen type I only write reviews. It's a small thing I can do to grease the wheels.

Bob is a big tease and the medical staff like him a lot. We're very upbeat friendly patients. People respond in kind.

Who's in charge?
Best I can tell it's me. Soon as I adjust to my new job title things should go much better around here.

1) Business matters are in order so there's no work to be done there.

2) Car may be a bit of a challenge. I've never done anything related to the car but I can learn. Daughter has on her list a good car wash while she's here which will be very helpful.

3) Housekeeping is a breeze. After all how dirty can a two bedroom apartment get that has no pets?

4) Cooking is going to be much more organized. I'm in charge now. Keep telling yourself that Linda until you believe it.

5) Biggest challenge will be monitoring Bob, his medications and all things medical.

He still walks to the mail boxes most days. He can still do some tasks around the house if I remind him. He can help with the cooking when I ask him to do something. He's not an invalid. He still does his own laundry and changes his own sheets.

I'm confident we can handle this. I just have to keep telling myself I'm in charge until I believe it.

12 comments:

  1. Now I understand why one medical office I go to has a service that calls and asks to review my visit. I didn't know funding was tied to patient happiness.

    You ARE in charge and you CAN do it. The tricky part is to act like you're not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think possibly it's only the Medicare people these clinics have to submit reviews for funding.

      I feel so much better now that I feel like I have a better handle on our situation. You're also right, I won't go announcing the new management to Bob.

      Delete
  2. Once you established the "base line" things will still change but that's alright because you're prepared for the change. Routine helps so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I have to have some routine. I simply can't function in chaos.

      Delete
  3. Group Health, being a big system, sends out surveys after some visits. I guess that's why. Funding.
    I'm thinking you have always been in charge on may things, Linda. Now you just have a longer list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right. Especially since last summer. I'm still trying to figure out what brought this most recent decline on. He's still having episodes of dizziness, and hazy vision. Still may be blood pressure related I suppose. He just seems to have suddenly declined all at once. I'm hoping that's not going to continue. I think I've been doing most everything but didn't feel like it was my responsibility. I still thought Bob was in charge even though I was doing most everything. Mentally I just need to accept this place is under new management and that's me.

      Delete
  4. We are all here for you but YOU CAN DO THIS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to have some sense of organization to function. This recent decline surprised me. I hope he'll remain stable now for a while but regardless, I've had a little time to get a plan, some organization. I think we can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess that's why I always get a feedback email after a doctor's visit. I had no idea.

    You are in charge, you are in charge, you are in........

    ReplyDelete
  7. I the review thing applies to clinics who see Medicare patients and maybe not to children's clinics. Not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not realize that there was a purpose to those surveys other than to annoy me. I will have to be better about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I complained about those surveys in a hospital meeting I was attending and it was then I learned clinics and medical facilities dealing with Medicare age population are scrambling for reviews to report for funding. At the time we had so many medical appointments it was ridiculous to fill out a survey every time we entered the door. The man in charge of all this asked me if I didn't want to fill out the paper ones would I go on YELP and put some reviews there. I chose to do that because I can do that on the computer. I've actually gotten responses from the different clinics thanking me for submitting a review.

      Delete