Are you a pet lover? We are without a pet for the first time in 53 years of marriage. It's about to kill me but Bob likes it that way. I've never let his opinion stop me in the past but now there are other issues to consider.
1) We are apartment dwellers these days. There's a $350 deposit plus $25 monthly fee for owning a pet. That's enough to stop 'depression era' Bob's heart.
2) We are older, him 83, me 73. Will we live as long as the pet? Will we remain in good health and able to care for a pet?
3) Vet care these days is almost as expensive as people care. Pet insurance is very inferior.
4) I want a dog but Bob and the kids say no. My head understands that. My heart does not. Dogs require more care. If I'm tied up in the medical world with Bob there's no one here to walk the dog. It rains a lot in Oregon and walking a dog in the rain can be tricky and is usually on the messy side. I have a great fear of falling on wet sidewalks.
5) We've mostly had cats and that's probably what we'll do if we ever get another pet. Our son and his family are cat lovers and would help with care of a cat. (They are not dog lovers.)
6) I've really enjoyed having a clean house, no spots on the carpet, no barfing up hairballs, no cat hair on my black pants and all over the furniture. A cat would need to be 'inside only' and I'm having a hard time working up excitement over caring for a litter box.
7) I want a kitten one more time, but with an older cat you can see is what you're getting, kittens are an unknown. Cats don't think a lot about pleasing humans. Older cats can mean higher vet bills because like people healthcare increases as they age.
I've really worked my brain trying to think of a way to have a pet under these conditions and can't think of a thing. Even looked into hedgehogs, now that is desperation.
How do you feel about pets at this stage of life?