Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Friday, December 9, 2016

A Dark and Dreary Day

I love living in the Pacific Northwest and I don't mind the rain and cloudy days, but I do mind ice and snow. We actually get very little of either but yesterday it snowed some, last night it froze, and today it's raining. That's all fine with me as long as I don't have to go out in it. By 4:30 last evening it was dark enough to close up the house.

I have chosen this afternoon to watch Harry Reid's last address to the Senate. I heard him on a podcast yesterday. He's been a real scrapper. I will miss him.

Then I'll make myself more sad by watching Mitch McConnell's tribute to Joe Biden. I'm so going to miss him in the White House.

While I'm on this downward spiral I might as well descend into despair and watch The Legacy of Obama.

I never seem to get my act together in time to watch all these things when they're actually happening. Thank goodness they are easy to access at other times.

Once I finish making myself sad I'll begin listening to one of two new books I've downloaded. That should be a nice way to finish off a dark and dreary day. Thank goodness for being able to lose myself in good books.

16 comments:

  1. Have you read A Man Called Ove? I love Ove. He's a good man, that Ove. Reminds me of my step-father, who was a dear, dear man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read 'A Man Called Ove,' and sent a copy to my sister-in-law. It was your recommendation that caused me to read it.

      Delete
  2. Changes have to take place whether we like it or not. Sometimes change hurts. Enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 8 years is enough for any president. It's just that it's harder to see some go than others.

      Delete
  3. I watched the Obama Legacy thing and found it very interesting. Some things I've forgotten, other things I didn't know. He was and will remain a class act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think history will be kind to him. He was such a class act I'm not looking forward to cringing in embarrassment when our new president speaks. I hate that. Never had to worry when Obama spoke.

      Delete
  4. I didn't see/hear any of these, although I did see a short clip of HRC speaking at the farewell to Harry Reid. It was good to see here out and about again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always watch all the inaugurations, have as long as I've been able to see them on TV, but not this one.

      Delete
  5. I think this country will miss the Obamas, even those who think they will not. He's an elegant, eloquent family man. Those are qualities upon which everyone can agree. It will be sad to see them go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite sure the next four years are going to make the Obama presidency look very good in hind sight.

      Delete
  6. I've only read excerpts of those speeches. I agree, the Obamas have been WH occupants for whom I've always felt pride -- contrary to the incoming leader who gives new meaning to the phrase "the ugly American" and represents the worst aspects of capitalism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It bothers me a lot to have the office of president occupied by a man who has no respect for the history of our country, no respect for the laws of our country, and no regard for truth.

      Delete
  7. Your reply to roared above reflects my feelings exactly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In spite of those things the thing I fear the most is his disregard for civil and human rights.

      Delete
  8. Like you, I will be on tender hooks for the next 4 years waiting for our president to shock, frighten or embarrass us. I has been such a lovely past 8 years we got to enjoy. Kind of spoiled us I fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely wasn't it? I knew when Obama spoke he would not embarrass our country. He is so much better person than the people who've given him so much grief the last eight years.

      Delete