Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Dear Democratic Party

You are the Party of my youth, the party of my parents and my grandparents. I love you dearly and have never had a moment's desire to become a Republican or an Independent/Democrat. I'm proud to be a member of the Party that puts people first and the Party that looks to the future. Even so I see some things that need attention.

President Obama I've got my eye on you. I expect you to step up and lead the Party in some necessary changes. I'm hearing rumors about your interest in taking on redistricting and gerrymandering. I understand you are even passionate about it. I haven't heard about your interest in this but all this voter suppression of minorities in the southern states needs to stop. Get to work on that.

We need a better than good chair for the DNC, there's much work to be done. Please consider this appointment carefully, that last one was a bummer. How about someone who is not only passionate but shows wisdom as well?

Ground up organization in all states is a must. We got this White House thing down pat but the state and local level, not so much.

Are there future presidential candidates, where? I don't see them. What's the deal on that and what's being done to correct that situation? Don't count on Hillary for eight years, a lot can happen in eight years.

Now about Bernie, what about him? He's not a Democrat. Why did you leave a space for him to squeeze in dressed as a Democrat? I can't be too upset though. He was a good sparring partner for Hillary and a good release for some of the same anger the Republicans did a poor job handling in their Party. The task now for the Democratic Party is to listen to those Bernieites, they may actually have ideas that would be good for the future of the Party. Remember they are the future.

One last thing, APATHY. Democrats are famous for voter apathy. How to get Democrats to vote every two years rather than every four years, that is the question? Education, education, education.

I know you're weary from this election but I expect you to hit the ground running the week after the inauguration. We only have until 2018 to make these changes.
____________

Are there changes you'd like to add?

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Voter apathy is Democrats biggest weakness. We need to shout the importance of voting in midterm elections from every mountain top and tall building in America. That's the only way to stop this nonsense.

      Delete
  2. I hope you're right about Obama being interested in working on redistricting and gerrymandering so things are fairer for both parties. I hadn't heard that. I heard the and Michelle want to work on issues involving kids but I think they could easily do both. Fingers crossed....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Obama has enlisted Eric Holder among others to go after redistricting and gerrymandering. We can only stop this nonsense if we start at the local level and rebuild. We're being killed at the state level.

      Delete
  3. Linda this is powerful! I think you should send this in as a letter to the editor of a national newspaper. I bet it would get published. I agree whole heartedly with everything you have said.

    I'd love to see this go viral. A good wakeup call for the dems. Thanks for putting into words what so many of us think and feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. Until Democrats learn to vote in midterm elections we're going to have problems. I believe part of the problem may be the large minority population that may not understand the importance of voting every two years. That's why I say education, education, education. It's difficult to get the Latino population out to vote and the Party apparently hasn't put enough effort into that situation for midterm elections.

      Delete
  4. You are awesome, Linda! I agree totally, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way to stop this nonsense is for Democrats to turn out to vote. Angry people vote, apparently content people don't.

      Delete
  5. This is dead on. Thanks for writing it and I do hope it gets an audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Democrats have to find their voice if we're going to stop the nonsense in Washington.

      Delete