Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

What About Philly

I don't watch much TV but I was looking forward to watching the Democratic Convention in Philly this week. I was up bright eyed and bushy tailed Monday morning, and whipped around this place like Cinderella on steroids working cleaning magic everywhere I went. I had put out the word 'do not disturb' to friends and family.

I tuned in to MSNBC about 1:00 pm. First thing that happened was a bunch of political analysts all piled on one another, all talking on top of each other. I should have known that was coming as soon as I saw Chris Matthews in the group. I couldn't understand anything any of them said. To make matters worse the commercials were screaming loud. Enough of that.

It was on then to CNN where they seemed to be able to control their analysts better and the commercials seemed less deafening.  I took it all in until I went to bed after Bernie's speech. I have some observations.

1) They televise a lot more convention than I'm interested in seeing.
2) Political analysts annoy me, a lot.
3) Cable TV is out to cause division and chaos.
4) CNN, the Democratic party was never divided over Debbie Wasserman Shultz, distracted yes, but never divided. At least Democrats saw the problem and fired their chair. Republicans would be better
off if they did the same to Reince Priebus.
5) Get a grip CNN, the Convention is in Philly. It wouldn't be Philly without marches. Whoever heard of political conventions without protest marches?
6) Take a deep breath CNN the boos did not signify deep division.  The Bernies just had a few more boos they needed to get off their chests. No where near the number of Republicans who stayed home from the Republican Convention in protest.

Tonight I will put the TV on 'mute' until time for the main speakers. I really do not like cable news.
_____________________________________
A word of caution. A Texas friend (73) fell in her home at 11:00 a.m. Yesterday and wasn't found until 6:00 p.m. She has a broken hip, and a UTI. They're hoping she'll be stable enough for surgery tomorrow. In the meantime she's on morphine drip. She has throw rugs and doggy pee pads around her house. She's too confused to give good information but either of those could well be the cause.

As I've gotten older there are a few things I've given up, throw rugs and burning candles being two.



14 comments:

  1. C-span shows the convention without any commentary.

    We will still hear from Bernie supporters when they do the delegate count. The DNC are choosing to do it so the Bernie people can get their due. As Biden says, "Let them vent." Most will come around.

    Can't wait until tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the C-Span tip. I shall check that out.

    I loved last nights speeches and am looking forward to tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more. I get all kinds of whiz-bang channels on my car radio and have been traveling from station to station trying to find one where everyone's not overtalking each other.
    And yes, I hope everyone who might have been on the fence paid close attention to Trump's speech. Downright scary.
    67 is coming up soon and it's daunting how close it is to 73, an age I used to consider old. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot think the way we do modern day elections is good for our country but I don't know how to fix it. Our campaigns go on for entirely too long.

      Delete
  4. We want these conventions to be sane and meaningful. It ain't gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't be politics if it was sane and meaningful.

      Delete
  5. Linda, put your TV on C-Span and let the convention roll. I had it on today from 2:00 and it is still on now at 9:00, although Tom has switched to MSNBC now that the convention is over for today. I learned a lot more about Hillary Clinton today from people whose true life stories show the impact HRC has had on so many lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thoroughly enjoying the convention but not the pundits. Loved Bill Clinton's speech. Very helpful his talking about how the Republicans have made a fictional character out of Hillary and you can't compare that character to the real Hillary.

      Delete
  6. The cable channels like division and controversy. It drives ratings.

    Throw rugs can be a killer for us oldies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Affordable Care Act places so much emphasis on falling because falls cause so many deaths in older people. My friend has serious health risks that make this fall life threatening.

      Delete
  7. Bella said it perfectly. Media wants division and controversy. I want straight facts and good manners. I'm at my wits end with this election, the people and the coverage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elections go on far too long in America. Not healthy for the country but I don't know how to change it.

      Delete
  8. I just couldn't do it. My head is about to explode from all the misinformation, saber rattling, and junior high name calling from the RNC and that was only the sound bites. I know who I am voting for and not much will change that.
    That is just awful about your friend and I hope she recovers nicely. That makes a good case for Life Alert for seniors who live alone. I may check into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Trump speech was 75 minutes of the ravings of a lunatic, I watched him, all red faced and screaming. I'm embarrassed American people would fall for someone like him.

      Delete